Hi friends! As most of you know, our fam came to San Antonio for a few days to meet up with my parents for F + Z’s spring break. We weren’t able to come down here last year because of covid so I am SO happy we were able to this year. We met in SA and made it to Palmilla Beach Resort yesterday. It’s so pretty ! I’ll be doing a comparison of this resort and the Bungalows in Key Largo when we get back home.
Although I haven’t lived in San Antonio for awhile now and a lot has changed, I’m glad to see my favorite restaurants I’ve been going from many years ago are still thriving even with covid happening. It makes me a little nostalgic every time I visit SA. I wanted to share my favorite restaurants so you can eat like the locals at these hotspots and hidden gems. (All kid friendly by the way!)
This post was originally my top 5 restaurant recommendations in San Antonio that I put together a few years ago. However, I am changing it to my top 6 because I am surprised I did not put Alamo Cafe on the list! It is actually where I used to work in high school 😅
Top 6 Go-To Restaurants in San Antonio
- Paloma Blanca – The best patio and margaritas ! This is our go-to spot for dinner. If you want a food rec, I order the Pollo al Cilantro O Chipotle and do the half and half.
- Blanco Cafe – If you want down and dirty tex mex, this is your place. Omg the best enchiladas ever. It is a hole in the wall restaurant. Not the place to go to for the atmosphere, but the food definitely makes up for it so it’s worth the visit!
- Paesanos – My favorite Italian food. It also a gorgeous patio.
- Zitos – Mom and pop sandwich shop. This was my go-to in my high school days. My favorite is the original or meatball sub and you must get a side of pinto beans.
- Josephine Street – A San Antonio staple that has been there forever! Try the chicken fried steak!!
- Alamo Cafe – My favorite enchiladas second to Blanco Cafe. They also have a great patio area.
This pictures was actually taken at Alamo Cafe! I love their outdoor dining space.
Recommendations for The Pearl in San Antonio
The Josephine Street restaurant I mentioned above is near an area called The Pearl. There are a bunch of boutiques and restaurants scattered around The Pearl. It is absolutely gorgeous and you can even access the River Walk from there. There is a Food Hall and a large outdoor space where they play live music. Definitely walk over to Hotel Emma and grab a drink. This is an area you will not want to miss out on!
Another area you should go explore is Southtown. More yummy restaurants and it’s old San Antonio that has been renovated with lots of new hot spots (I would compare this to Bishop Arts in Dallas).
Please feel free to email me or leave a comment here with any questions you have!
Have a great day!