I first started skiing several years ago so I knew it was time to invest in some quality ski clothes, especially for how often we visit Park City. If you’re a first-time skier, I know how overwhelming it can be in getting all the appropriate gear to stay warm and comfortable. Or even if you’re just looking to refresh your old ski clothes, this post will hopefully be helpful for you to prepare for your next ski trip.
You can do less layers, but I am cold natured and would rather feel hot than cold while skiing, and I never get hot with all these layers unless it is a warm spring day (40 and above).
What to Wear Skiing:
Layering Tops for Warmth –
- Base Layer Top – I love the material of this! It feels like a soft t-shirt and not like a dry-fit workout top.
- Fleece Pullover – this is the one I wear, but you can really wear any type of fleece material pullover. I’ll wear this as an extra layer over my base layer when it’s reallyyy cold.
Cold Weather Jackets –
- Lightweight Puff Insulated Jacket – this is a good jacket to have as an extra layer for skiing, but also as an everyday jacket. I’ll wear this in the winter in Texas going to and from workouts, running errands, etc!
- Ski Jacket
- Long Jacket – for walking around town, etc.
Bottoms to Layer for Skiing –
- Base Layer Leggings
- Snow Pants – these are the ones I wear and I like that they aren’t big and baggy, but will still keep me warm. I linked more below!
Cold Weather Accessories to Keep Warm While Skiing –
- Mittens – I prefer mittens over gloves because I find that they keep my hands warmer.
- Heated Socks – these are pricey, but so so worth it! They’ll keep your feet unbelievably warm and toasty. It comes with a rechargeable battery and you can easily adjust the heat to your liking. When washing, it says hang to dry, but you can put them in the dryer and they will be fine.
- Ski Mask – I initially said I would never wear one of these, but it gets SO cold and it covers and keeps your face warm. There are ones that just go around your neck, but I found that this one actually stays on. This one comes in a ton of colors/patterns, but I went with the tried and true black color.
Apres Ski Boots –
- Sorel Boots – these are my before and after ski boots. They’re easy to put on over my ski pants and I don’t even need to tie these.
Keep in mind, I am cold-natured so I was fine wearing these extra layers in the winter (not during the spring), but I know some people would be fine without 1 or 2 of these layers.
How to Dress Kids for Skiing:
Kids Ski Layers –
- The base layer is so important ! This one comes in a 3-pack
- Fleece Pullover – the fleece goes over the base layer . The boys only wear 2 layers. They don’t wear their puffer jackets also like I do.
Kids Ski Jacket & Pants –
- Ski Jacket & Ski Pants – this brand is high end but holds up better than any other we have bought for the boys. It is also very warm. There are all different color pants that coordinate with the jackets.
Kids Ski Accessories –
Park City has fun slopes and skiing is a great family activity, but there is also a ton more to do in the winter there as well ! Read my Park City Winter Guide for all the best things to do and places to visit 🙂